SYCAMORE CANYON TRAILHEAD
Point Mugu State Park, located in the Santa Monica Mountains, features five miles of ocean shoreline, with rocky bluffs, sandy beaches, sand dunes rugged hills and uplands, two major river canyons and wide grassy valleys dotted with sycamores oaks and a few native walnuts. There are more than 70 miles of trails. The trails of Point Mugu State Park include Rancho Sierra Vista/Satwiwa, Sycamore Canyon and Boney Mountain State Wilderness Area. The most popular mountain biking trail is Sycamore Canyon.
Distance: 2.7 to 6 miles
Hiking Time: 1.5 to 3 hours
Difficulty: medium to difficult
Crowd: medium to low
Parking: $12 parking lot
Tip: bring a camera for great panoramic ocean views!
Trails in Sycamore
- Sycamore Canyon Trail – Easy fire road climbs gentle grade through lush riparian woodlands. Potential for stream crossings in winter.
- Overlook Trail – Fire road meanders along ridge top. Great views.
- Backbone Trail – Fun single-track section connects Overlook to Sycamore Canyon Trail.
- Guadalasca Trail – Double and single-track through wooded canyon and open hillside.
- Wood Canyon Trail – Wide single-track/double-track through lush canyon. Stream crossings.
- Ranch Center Road – Paved road through semi-open terrain.
- Sin Nombre Trail – Easy single-track through beautiful grasslands.
- Two Foxes Trail – Easy single-track. Good alternative to the Sycamore Canyon Trail.