Pacific Coast Highway was a statewide venture extending from San Diego to Santa Barbara, with the first bond for funding in 1910. The section form Los Angeles County, just north of Topanga Canyon, to Ventura County started in 1922. By 19223, the highway work was beginning south of Sycamore Cove. The workers found extreme work conditions and difficult topography.
On example was surveying hillsides for acceptable culverts, curves, and railway accessibility. Surveyors were put on climbing lines with mountaineers to conduct measurements over the rugged coastal cliffs. It took approximately 10 years to open the 7-mile stretch from LA to Mugu Lagoon, which is just north of Pt Mugu Rock.
The Highway going through Mugu Rock originally had south bound lanes west (ocean side). These south bound lanes proved to be a design flaw, as high surf and wind closed the road frequently. In the late 1950s the southbound lanes we abandoned as a usable roadway. The new southbound lanes were split with the existing northbound lanes.
PCH has been repaved, redesigned, and relaned throughout the years. Most seasoned public service employees from the Point Mugu area have a cautious respect for this highway.
**Pictures taken between the the years 1918-1948**
(Above: An aerial shot of early PCH. Below: Early PCH and the Pacific ocean.)
(Above: Part of the cliffs intrude into the area where the highway needs to be built. Below: A photo of the blast removing that section of the cliffs)